August » Avgust | 107 Deni Didro bio je među prvima koji su javnosti predložili nacionalni umetnički muzej Denis Diderot was among the first to propose a national art museum for the public Čak 80% ljudi koji posećuju Luvr to čine isključivo sa ciljemda vide Leonardovo remek-delo As many as 80% of all people who visit the Louvre do so with the exclusive aim of seeing Leonardo’s masterpiece LOUVRE AND CULTURAL REVOLUTION After more than two centuries as a royal palace, the Louvre was repurposed in 1793 by the French revolutionary government and reopened as a public museum. Its collection is today among the world’s richest, boasting artworks and artefacts representing 11,000 years of human civilisation and culture. The Louvre palace was erected on the site of a 12th-century fortress built by King Philip II. Almost every subsequent French monarch extended the Louvre and its grounds, with major extensions added by Louis XIII and Louis XIV in the 17th century. Both of these kings also greatly expanded the crown’s art holdings. The Louvre ceased to be France’s main royal residence when Louis XIV relocated his court to Versailles in 1682. It was in the spirit of the Enlightenment that many French citizens began calling for royal collections to be put on public display. French writer and philosopher Denis Diderot was among the first to propose a national art museum for the public. Although King Louis XV placed a selection of paintings on temporary display at the Luxembourg Palace in 1750, it wasn’t until the 1789 outbreak of the French Revolution that real progress was made in establishing a permanent museum. On 10th August, 1793, the then revolutionary government opened the Musée Central des Arts in the Grande GaTekst / Words: Jelena Pantović Fotografije / Photography: Profimedia.rs, iStock lerie of the Louvre. Two new wings were added in the 19th century, while the Louvre’s multi-building complex was completed in 1857, during the reign of Napoleon III. The Grand Louvre, as the museum is officially known, underwent major remodelling works in the 1980s and ‘90s, with modern museum amenities added and thousands of square metres of new exhibition space opened. A reconstructed wing that had formerly been occupied by the French ministry of finance was opened to the public in 1993, on the 200th anniversary of the museum’s establishment. This marked the first time that the Louvre was devoted entirely to museum purposes.